At Home with + POOL
Estimated Time: 20 minutes
Subjects: Science, Geography, Art, Environment
What You Need At Home: drawing utensil(s), paper
Click here to download and print your free materials.
- Start by showing your students the map of NYC.
- Ask your kids if it looks like there is more water or more land.
- (If in NYC): Ask your kids to point to where you live. Read aloud together the bodies of water. (If outside of NYC): Walk your kids through each of the five boroughs of NYC and point out NYC’s Jersey neighbor.
- Tell them earth is 71% water and if you’re not over screen time, show them this video from NASA.
- Print out the Importance of clean water activity (if you don’t have an in-home printer, just use a blank piece of paper!)
- Ask your kids “why do we need clean water?”
- Have your kids draw or sketch more reasons we need clean water and talk to your kids about why clean water is important
- Share your work with us @pluspoolny!
There are many amazing organizations working hard to combat the world’s clean water crisis. Visit the CDC website here to learn more about the scary statistics surrounding the world’s access to clean water. If you have older children at home too, consider having them write a research paper on organizations working to combat the issue.
Download the full curriculum.